This is such a simple tart that looks very impressive. Anything that makes you look like a really accomplished baker for very little effort is always a winner in my book. If you are gluten free, just sub the flour for the same quantity of ground almonds.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour together into a bowl.
- Add the lemon zest and ground almonds and mix together.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites till frothy and add the melted butter and mix together.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the egg whites and butter and fold in.
- Peel, core and slice the pears into quarters.
- Lightly grease and flour a 25cm fluted loose bottom tart tin and heat oven to 200.
- Add the egg and almond mixture to the tin and arrange the pear slices neatly on top.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes on 200, then lower the oven to 180 and cook for a further 10 to 15 mins (turn the tin to ensure an even colour).