This recipe is perfect for the BBQ season. Roasting a chicken with a beer can or a guinness can up its bottom provides a flavour steamer which helps keep it lovely and moist. If you don’t have a bbq lid tall enough for the chicken to stand vertically in it, then place the can on a baking tray and roast in the oven, its just as delicious. The spice rub can be used on any kind of meat so make extra and store in a well-sealed box so you always have a supply to hand.
- In a small bowl, combine all the spice rub ingredients together.
- Rub the oil over the chicken and cover the inside and the outside with the spice rub.
- Open the can of guinness and pour half out into a glass. Sit the chicken over the can so it's inside the chicken cavity.
- Transfer the chicken to your BBQ and cook over a medium indirect heat for 1.5 hours until the juices run clear. Alternatively, carefully sit the can on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 1.5 hours on 200, or 180 fan.
- Discard the guinness can and carve the chicken into pieces. Enjoy!