There is nothing like a good, dense, stick to the roof of your mouth chocolate cake and this is one hell of a recipe. Even better, it’s a one bowl job so minimal mess, maximum kudos. I’ve adapted this recipe to make it wheat free; there is such a small amount of flour, you could use any type and get away with it. The key with this is to take it out the oven when its still slightly wobbly on the top, even if it looks undercooked. It will set really nicely in the fridge over 2 to 3 hours and be lovely and gooey.
- Put your oven on 170 for conventional or 150 fan assisted.
- Place the butter and chocolate into a bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Alternatively melt in the microwave in short bursts stirring every 30 seconds or so.
- Add the sugar, milk and ground almonds and mix well together.
- Add the eggs one by one incorporating each one well then add the flour if using.
- Pour the mixture into a 23cm round springform cake tin and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for between 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and cool in the tin before placing in the fridge to set.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder before serving and serve with some vanilla icecream.