Okay apologies for the bad photography, I am the photographer with my little iPhone! Please don’t let this stop you from trying this delicious dip. I have noticed people commenting about recipes catering for gluten free, low fat e.t.c and this one ticks all of those boxes. This is one of those versatile recipes that can be both virtuous and indulgent and works not only as a dip, but alongside some cold meats, on top of a jacket potato or spread over some sourdough toast. If you are opting for low fat, use natural fat free yoghurt or Greek yoghurt for a creamier texture and if you want a richer taste, use creme fraiche. I’ve done this without using either yoghurt or creme fraiche and it works (though its not as tasty.) You can also feel free to use less olive oil as well. Can be made ahead and served room temperature, or eaten straight away.
- Pre-heat your grill to high.
- salt the aubergine slices and set aside in a sieve over the sink for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the aubergine slices and pat dry.
- Brush each slice with some olive oil and place on a baking tray. Place under the grill for about 10 to 15 minutes turning them over half way.
- Whilst the aubergine are cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and gently fry the onions and garlic until lightly golden and caramalised. (If the garlic is not minced, add just before you've finished cooking the onions or it will burn).
- Remove aubergines from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skins and roughly chop the flesh.
- Mix the aubergines and caramalised onion mixture together and add either the natural yoghurt, or creme fraiche.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.